Bani K. Mallick
Susan M. Arseven `75 Chair in Data Science and Computational Statistics
University Distinguished Professor
Office: 401B Blocker Building.
Phone: (979) 845-1275.(office)
FAX: (979) 845-3144.
Statistics Department , Texas
A&M University ,
College Station, TX 77843-3143 USA.
Awards and Honors
- Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, elected in 2013
- Fellow of the Institute of Mathematical Statistics, elected in 2008
- University Distinguished Achievement Award in
Research, Texas A&M University, 2006
- Fellow of the American Statistical Association, elected in 2005
- Member of the International Statistical Institute, elected in 1999
- Elected Fellow of the Royal Statistical Society
- Noether Award by University of Connecticut for outstanding
performance in graduate study, 1992
- Mahalanobis award by Presidency College for outstanding
under graduate study
Editor: Sankhya, B
Associate Editor: Journal of the American Statistical association, A&C
Associate Editor: SIAM Journal on Uncertainty Quantification
Associate Editor: Journal of
Computation and Graphical Statistics
Associate Editor: Biostatistics
Funded by multiple NSF, NIH, DOE grants
Course I'm Teaching
- Bayesian hierarchical Modeling
- Nonparametric Regression and classification
- Spatio-temporal Modeling
- Machine learning
- Functional Data analysis
- Bayesian nonparametrics
- Petroleum reservoir characterization
- Uncertainty analysis of Computer Model outputs
Selected Publications (from 2013)
- Yang, K., Guha, N., Efendiev, E. and Mallick, B. (2017) ``Bayesian and Variational Bayes approaches for flows in heterogeneous random media ," Journal of Computational Physics 345, 275-293.
- Sarkar, A., Pati, D., Mallick, B. K., and Carroll, R. J. (2017) `` Bayesian semiparametric multivariate density deconvolution' To appear Journal of the American Statistical Association.
- Chakraborty, A., Bingham, D., Dhavala, S., Kuranz, C., Drake, P., Grosskopf, M., Rutter, E., Holloway, J., McClarren, R and Mallick, B. (2016) ``Emulation of Numerical Models with over-specified basis functions'', To appear Technometrics.
- Bhattacharya A, Chakraborty A and Mallick, B. (2016) ``Fast sampling with Gaussian scale mixture priors in high-dimensional regression'', Biometrika 4, 985-991.
- Zoh, R., Mallick, B., Ivanov, I., Baladandayuthapani, V., Chapkin, R. and Carroll, R. (2016) ``PCAN: Probabilistic Correlation analysis of two Non-Normal Data sets'' Biometrics 72, 1358-1368.
- Guha, N., Wu,X., Efendiev, Y, Jin, B, and Mallick, B. (2015) ``A Variational approach for inverse problems with skew-t error distributions,'', Journal of Computational Physics 301, 377-393.
- Baladandydayuthapani, V., Talluri, R., Ji, Y., Coombes, K., Hennessy, B., Davies, M. and Mallick, B. (2014) ``Bayesian sparse graphical models for classification with application to protein expression data'', Annals of Applied Statistics 8, 1443-1468.
- B. A Konomi, H. Sang, B. K Mallick (2014) `` Adaptive Bayesian nonstationary modeling for large spatial datasets using covariance approximations", Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics 23, 802-829.
- Sarkar, A., Mallick, B. and carroll, R. (2014), ``Bayesian semiparametric regression in the presence of conditionally heteroscedastic measurement and regression error", Biometrics 70, 823-834.
- Sarkar, A., Mallick, B, Staudenmayer, J., Pati, D. and Carroll, R (2014), `` Bayesian semiparametric density deconvolution in the presence of conditionally heteroscedastic measurement errors'' Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics 24,1101-1125.
- Mondal, A., Mallick, B., Efendiev, Y. and Datta-Gupta, A. (2014) ````Bayesian uncertainty quantification for subsurface inversion using multiscale hierarchical model", Technometrics 56, 3, 381-392.
- Zhang, L., Baladandayuthapani, V., Mallick, B., Manyam, G., Thompson, P., Bondy, M. and K. Do (2014) ``Bayesian hierarchical structured variable selection with application to molecular inversion probe studies in breast cancer'', Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, C 63, 595-620.
- Xun, X., Cao, J., Mallick, B., Carroll, R. and Maity, A. (2013) ``Parameter estimation of partial differential equation model'', Journal of the American Statistical Association. 108,1009-1020.
- Ryu, D., Liang, F. and Mallick, B. (2013) ``A Dynamically particle filter with radial basis function networks for sea surface temperature modeling'', Journal of the American Statistical
Association. 108, 111-123.
- Chakraborty, A., Mallick, B., McClareren, R., Kuranz, C. and Drake, P. (2013) ``Spline based emulators for radiative shock experiments with measurement error'', Journal of the American Statistical
Association. 108, 411-428.
- Konomoi, A, Park, C., Huang, J., Huitink, D., Kundu, S., Liang, H. and Ding, Y., Mallick, B. (2013) ``Bayesian modeling for analyzing the morphology of gold nanoparticles'', Annals of Applied Statistics.7,640-668.
- Bhadra, A. and Mallick, B. (2013) , ``Joint high-dimensional Bayesian variable and covariance selection with an application to eQTL analysis", Biometrics, 69, 444-457.
- Zhao, K., Valle, D., Popescu, S., Zhang, X. & Mallick, B. (2013) , ``Hyperspectral RemoteSensing of Plant Biochemistry using Bayesian Model Averaging with Variable and Band Selection", Remote sensing and environment, 132,102-119.
for petroleum mapping
Math and Geosciences
The R code for implemeting Probabilistic correlation calculation for count data in the paper Zoh, R., Mallick, B., Ivanov, I., Baladandayuthapani, V., Chapkin, R. and Carroll, R. (2016) ``PCAN: Probabilistic Correlation analysis of two Non-Normal Data sets'' Biometrics 72, 1358-1368.
The MATLAB code for implemnting the algorithm proposed in Bhattacharya, A., Chakraborty, A. and Mallick, B. (2015). Fast samppling with Gaussian scale mixture priors in high-dimensional regression. Biometrika 4, 985-991. [arxiv] [Matlab implementation]
BayesME: an R package for nonparametric density deconvolution and nonparametric regression (not yet implemented) allowing for heteroscadastic measurement error and heteroscedastic regression error .Based on Sarkar, A., Mallick, B. K., Staudenmayer, J., Pati, D. and Carroll, R. J. (2014). Bayesian semiparametric density deconvolution in the presence of conditionally heteroscedastic measurement errors. Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics, 25, 1101-1125 and Sarkar, A., Mallick, B. K. and Carroll, R. J. (2014). Bayesian semiparametric regression in the presence of conditionally heteroscedastic measurement and regression errors. Biometrics, 70, 823-834. Packages mvtnorm and msm are required.
The books I have written
Bayesian Analysis of gene expression Data, Wiley.
Bayesian methods for nonlinear classification and
Regression, Wiley, NY.
The books I have edited
- Generalized Linear Models: A Bayesian perspective,
Marcel Dekker inc.,
- Nonlinear Estimation and Classification,
- Large-scale inverse problems and quantification of
uncertainty, Wiley, NY.
- Dey, D., Ghosh, S. and Mallick, B. Bayesian Modeling Issues in Bioinformatics and Biostatistics, Chapman and Hall/CRC .
Former Ph.D Students
D. Denison, (Winner of the Savage award, 1998, as the best Bayesian Thesis) (Lecturer, Imperial College, London, UK)
C. Holmes, graduated (Professor, Oxford University, U.K)
H. M. Kim. Graduated ( Professor, Konkuk Univeresity Korea)
N. Rose (IBM)
Kyeong Eun Lee. Graduated 2003 (Kyungpook University, Korea)
Joon Jin Song. Graduated 2004, ( Associate Professor, Baylor University)
Duchwan Ryu. Graduated 2005 (Assistant Professor, Northern Illinois University )
K Bae. Graduated 2005 (Chief Statistician, Penn Cancer center)
Veera Baldanayak [with Raymond Carroll] (Associate Professor, MD Anderson Cancer Center)
I.S. Chang [with James Calvin] (Glaxco-SmithKline)
S. Ray (Marc)
X.S. Wang (Associate Professor, University of Texas)
D. Gold (Assistant Professor, SUNY Buffalo)
S. Ghosh (Assistant Professaor, Texas Tech)
R. Telluri (Post Doc, MD Anderson)
S. Dhavala (Dow Agroscience)
A. Konomoi[joint with H. Sang] (Assistant Professor, Cincinnati)
B. Hartman (Assistant Professor, University of Connecticut)
A. Mondal (Assistant Professor, Case Western Reserve)
X.Xun [Joint with R Carroll] (Novartis)
L. Zhang [Joint with Veera] (Assistant Professor, University of Minnesota)
A. Sarkar [joint with R Carroll] (Post Doc, Duke University)
Former Postdoctorate Fellows
W. Fu ( Associate Professor, Michigan State University)
Sima Chao (Research Scientist, Texas A&M)
Ivan Zorych (Columbia University)
S. Dey (SAS)
Anindya Bhadra (Assistant Professor, Purdue)
Avishek Chakraborty (Assistant Professor, Arkansas)
Supratik Kundu(Assistant Professor, Emory University)