Research Data Scientist
(Director of Statistical Consulting Center)
Department of Statistics, Texas A&M University
Texas A&M University is committed to enriching the learning and working environment by promoting a culture that respects all perspectives, talents & identities. Embracing varying opinions and perspectives strengthens our core values which are: Respect, Excellence, Leadership, Loyalty, Integrity, and Selfless Service.
Who We Are
The Department of Statistics at Texas A&M University is one of the leading Statistics departments in the country. Because of its global reputation, our faculty and students are consistently awarded honors, grants, and invited to present their research at international conferences. According to U.S. News rankings, our Graduate Degree is currently listed as the 6th best among the public universities in the nation for Statistics. Based on the quality of our program, Statistics at Texas A&M is rated higher than over half of the Ivy League Universities, including Yale and Columbia.
What We Want
The Research Data Scientist for the Statistical Consulting Center will be responsible for the consulting and management of data related projects for the Statistical Consulting Course which is mandatory for Ph.D. students in Statistics. Additionally, the Research Data Scientist will assist the assigned STAT 692/693 instructor with managing data related projects and links between student teams and clients. If this description sounds interesting to you, we invite you to apply to be considered for this opportunity.
What You Need to Know
Salary: Compensation will be commensurate based on the selected candidate’s education and experience.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in applicable field or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Eight years of related experience in management
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to multitask and work cooperatively with others
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively to ensure understanding
Preferred Education and Experience:
- M.S. or PhD in Statistics
- Consulting experience
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to cultivate and maintain professional working relationships with people of diverse
- Consultation to Researchers: Serves as a point of contact for all requests from campus researchers for help with data analysis and statistical modeling and advice for statistical methodology in research papers and grant proposals. Takes an active role as statistical consultant and manages all consulting requests. Guide researchers from other departments through their research. Keeps records of all consulting projects. Alerts the Departmental Consulting Committee and statistics faculty on incoming projects that need expertise in a specific methodology and could facilitate joint research and faculty collaboration. Troubleshoots client issues. Collects data sets that can be used by educators with real consulting stories.
- Oversee Operations of the Statistical Consulting Center (SSC): Manages the consulting center. Manages the SCC emails and office space to be the first point of contact for new clients. Keeps track of clients helped and hours spent on projects. Works with individuals connected to the Center to connect them with clients. Discusses payment and cost expectations with clients. Follows up with clients on agreed compensation and SCC ratings. Acts as a mediator when disputes/dissatisfaction between clients and statistics faculty arise. Creates annual updates and SCC reports. Works with the Marketing and Communication office on website updates. Works with the Marketing and Communication office to advertise and expand the visibility of the SCC.
- Teaching and Mentoring Support: Assists the assigned STAT 692/693 instructor with managing data related projects and links between student teams and clients. Assists the instructor with finding projects suitable for Master’s and PhD level students. Works with students who want to work on projects for extra experience.
Instructions to Applicants: Applications received by Texas A&M University must either have all job application data entered or a resume attached. Failure to provide all job application data or a complete resume could result in an invalid submission and a rejected application. We encourage all applicants to upload a resume or use a LinkedIn profile to pre-populate the online application.
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution’s verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution’s procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.